A baker said to me recently: “I’ve lost the romance and can’t smell bread anymore.”
That is my worst nightmare! I am so glad I can smell freshly baked bread, even though I shouldn’t eat it as much.
Let’s analyze why this baker made that comment.
- He didn’t want to sound crazy by telling me his true feelings about bread, so he underplayed it.
- He has simply lost sight of how amazing bread is because of his daily dealings with it.
- His only motivation for making bread is to make money and pay his bills.
- He was having an off day and still has a fondness for bread.
Whatever his reason behind his bread comment, it got me thinking about why we lose who you are or why we hold back.
Hesitation and fear. You can also call it procrastination. But when you let hesitation and fear make the decisions in your life, than each day you are becoming less and less of you.
- We hesitate in telling our spouse that they are cute, funny or smart, out of fear that they may not receive it well or that they don’t think the same about you.
- We hesitate in speaking up in meetings because we have a fear that our idea is stupid or not in line with what they are really asking.
- We hesitate in paying our bills on time because what if we are short on money and we haven’t created a plan for where our money goes (I could really go on and on with this point because I am a major Dave Ramsey advocate). Quick quote: Don’t let your money run you, you run it!
- We hesitate in sharing our goals and dreams, because others may not understand.
- We hesitate in getting healthy, out of fear that we may fail and that we may have to be kept accountable.
- We hesitate in putting others first, out of fear that we won’t get it in return.
A lot of fear and hesitation keeps us from being incredible people!
What if the baker said this instead, “To deal with bread everyday is the most wonderful thing in the world! Not only does it smell good and taste great, it brings people together! The act of breaking bread is my favorite thing in the world!!!”
I would then say, “I”m sold! I will buy all the bread that you have!”
I also believe we hesitate in sharing our true selves because we will get opposition.
THAT’S OK!! Not everyone likes bread. I have family members that have actually said, “I don’t get the big deal with bread.”
I often hesitate in sharing the things that I love out of fear that I will fail, that people will make fun of me, not understand, and that it may sound stupid. But here it is:
I love to serve others! I love to connect with people and help them see their gifts and talents! I want people to wake up every day and chose to serve others, remind themselves daily of the things that they love, and go after it.
Being vulnerable is hard. But when you align yourself with God’s will for your life and how He created you, then you can be confident in your daily decisions! Each day wake up and align yourself with Him! You will mess up, but don’t stay there, just make it apart of your dance and learn from it.
Fight hesitation and fear by remembering who you are and why you were created!